Thursday, May 31, 2007

May 26 - May 27, 2007 - Part II: Monkey See, Monkey Do

Who ever said that there wasn't civilization deep in the Amazon rain forest was completely wrong - there are little gems if you are able to look hard enough.

I wish I were speaking of the flowers to the left, which I think are actually fruit that are used to give meat color (yes, I said meat, as in the meat you eat), but I'm not. Interestingly, another use of these blessed fruits are natural sunscreen and ... war paint. Well, maybe I'm stretching it a little bit, as there really aren't tribal wars. At least that I know of. But when you spread the fruit on your skin, you are intantaneously a lobster man, albiet a UV-protected lobster man.

Anyway, back to the civilization part. There is a STORE at the river entrance to the Mamiraua Reserve. A STORE. The outside (shown to the right) is misleading, as I can assure you, salvation awaits you inside.

Just LOOK at the picture below - there are meticulously-made jewelry! They are probably some of the most unique jewelry I have seen in a while; most of the jewelry is made of seeds of fruits and plants indigenous to the area, and assembled by local artisans living in the villages.
Not one to pass up the opportunity to purchase baubles and baskets, er, contribute to the local economy, I felt free to purchase anything and everything. In fact, if our estimations are correct, I paid about one-third of the monthly income for a small family living in the Reserve. No wonder the shopkeepers are smiling -
Here are some sample pictures of the jewelry made by the women above - the variety was truly amazing.
I have yet to update on the the entire rest of the weekend, of which the stop to paradise, er local shop, was on the way. The pictures of the flooded forest are amazing - and I would hate to not provide my colorful commentary on the trip ...

Otherwise, we are neck-deep in trying to pull together our fundraising and financial plan to fruition for the Mamiraua Institute.
Ciao for now -

1 comment:

Unknown said...

the photograph of the necklaces was great - it appears that they've developed a nice info tag to go with the purchase. the far left one, creamy and lazu-like blue is so well balanced and appears to have good 'heft' ---
great photo, M. xoxo AP