Tuesday, May 22, 2007

May 21, 2007: Drop the Chicken

I wanted to post a few pictures that fully describes the breadth and depth of the Amazon; these two from the plane should give you a good idea of its vastness (note the “tin” airplane wings).



The picture below is of our team, Steve O (aka Stevie Ray), Maiken, Stephan (our token Brazilian) and me, right as we got off the plane in Tefe. Since this picture, we have instituted mandatory cocktail hour in which we all take turns making some sort of sophisticated beverage before heading out to dinner, which consists of - as you should be able to recite along with me – fried fish, fried chicken, fried manoc, and rice and beans. “For every bean,” as I have learned from a translation of a Danish phrase from Maiken, “there is a tiny sound.” Not to cause any alarm, but here is a picture of the “pier” that we crossed to get to our boat for our tour of the Amazon –
And here is a picture of me on the boat, with the Amazon in the background, followed by a scenic shot of the Amazon:

This picture is the quintessential house that sits much further away from the town of Tefe; although, I am quite jealous of the bathing children in the river (far right corner), as I’m sure the waters are much warmer than my morning showers. Nonetheless, obviously I cannot live without the internet, so living without electricity may not suit my lifestyle.
One of my favorite pictures – part of our boat trip consisted of a little side trip to a tiny village across the lake (part of the Amazon, but too large to call it part of the river), where our driver taxied some others back (um, yeah, don’t ask, just see the picture). We enjoyed the hot mugginess with a cold beer at one of the shack stands on the beach.
This picture of Maiken is one of my favorites – you can see the houses in the background, which sharply contrasts with our Indiana Jones attire.

Well, that’s it for today – we met with our clients for the first time in person, and toured the Institute’s facilities. It’s definitely a diamond in the rough, as government funding has been kind to the quest for scientific and ecological knowledge. But, more on that later. Time to set up the mosquito net and take malaria pills (crazy-ass dreams from this stuff).

No comments: