Sunday, November 18, 2007

November 17, 2007: It Never Rains in California

Although late to the blog (which I should be consistently updating; the public documentation of second year business school should be a requirement).

They say that one should relish in second year business school, as the work load mysteriously becomes lighter, the beer flows heavier and we transition to the second years we said we'd never become - the second years that continuously provide unwelcomed advice to the first years ("relax, grades don't matter") and are mysteriously absent from most school social functions.

By my second year, at least, I have learned what I like and what I don't like, although not evidenced by my choice of quantitative classes. While I may not able to calculate EBITDA, I fully understand the concept (and know exactly who to contact to figure it out for me). Not only that, I can successfully say that I can read a 10-K and identify issues with the financial reports (well ...)
My point is, the learning is amazing, and fun. No matter how you look at it, I have been able to meet incredibly intelligent and interesting people along this road - individuals I know will always be in my life.

That being said, we have been definitely finding ways to amuse ourselves. First, Emily's birthday up in Napa ... fortunately, pictures from that event have not quite surfaced; at least not the incrimating ones.

The beer mile ... Ken Wallace's annual beer mile, to celebrate his birthday. The event takes roughly 30-40 minutes, depending on how fast you can slam 4 beers, and how quickly you can run 1/4 of a mile in a random-ass outfit. Each lap around the track is followed by a beer chug. Although tempting, most of use decided to spectate ... and we helped the runners celebrate (provided that they could stand up straight). See James (Elisabeth's boyfriend), er, cat-in-the-hat to the upper left. We chose to cheer on from the sidelines while taking incrimating photos.
Homecoming came and went (with a horribly disappointing loss, after being ranked #2 in the country), then the big 32 (much to my dismay) a week later, and then Halloween. Embarassingly enough, I attempted to use the glasses as an inspiration point ...
Thanksgiving this year will take place in San Francisco for me, as I plan on heading home to KC for a week stint over the holidays. Then, on a trip with some classmates ... more on that later!

No comments: